This is your new go-to sugar cookie recipe if you love your sugar cookies soft and full of vanilla flavour. I’ve been using this recipe since Maddie’s first birthday, and it’s hand down my most used recipe.
I love this recipe because the cookies don’t spread out of shape; if baked correctly, they are nice and soft, not crisp like some sugar cookies.
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
1 cup, unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups, icing sugar, sifted
1 egg, at room temperature
3 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour, sifted. You may need up to 1/4 cup more.
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Sugar Cookie Method
- Cream butter and icing sugar together.
- Add beaten egg and vanilla. Stir until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Combine.
- Add dry ingredients to butter.
- Lightly flour your counter and rolling pin, roll dough to 1/4” thickness.
- Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Refrigerate for about 5 minutes until the dough is firm.
- Bake at 400 for 7 to 9 minutes. I bake for 5 minutes, then turn the tray around in the oven and bake for 2 more.
- Bake until the edges are set, remove them from the oven and leave them on the cookie sheet to cool down before transferring them to a cooling rack.
For something a little different, you may enjoy this sugar cookie recipe that is coloured and flavoured with jello mix. I love this one because I feel no need to ice them. I add sanding sugar and call it a day.
About the Author
Christine lives on the West Coast of Canada with her husband, their three kids and approximately one million plant babies.
She is in the exploratory “In-Between” phase of rediscovering herself after being a stay-at-home mom for the last decade. She loves all adventures on the water or in the forest and connecting with other open-hearted, lifelong learners.