If you want to be the mom who makes homemade cookies but doesn’t have hours to spend in the kitchen, these are the Valentine’s Cookies of your dreams.
You can bake and decorate these cookies in an hour flat, cash in on all ooooh’s and awes, and get back to the business of running everyone’s lives.
Quick and Easy Valentines Cookies
This recipe was passed down to me by my mom. It uses jello to colour and flavour the cookies, it has become one of my favourite recipes when I need quick cookies that I don’t need to frost. Add some sprinkles before you bake, and voila, one-ish step cookies are done and done. Thanks, Mom!
Quick and Easy Valentines Cookie Ingredients
3/4 cup (175ml) butter
1 cup (250 ml) sugar
3 oz (85g) Jello mix. I used strawberry jello for the cookies in this post.
2 eggs at room temperature
3 cups (700ml) flour
1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2ml) salt
Colored Sanding sugar, I mixed red and pink together for the cookies in this post.
Quick and Easy Valentines Cookie Method
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl or in your mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Add the jellow powder to the creamed butter and mix well.
- Beat the eggs, one at a time, into the creamed butter mixture. Scrape the sides of the bowl often.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix well.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured counter and roll to 1/4″ thick.
- Cut into desired shapes and arrange on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar before baking.
- Hot Baking Tip: If you place the cookie cutter over the cookies as you sprinkle, it creates a guide for the sanding sugar, so you waste less sugar.
Some will still get on the parchment paper; if you are as extra as I am, you may want to transfer the cookies to another sheet of parchment paper so that the extra sprinkles don’t get stuck to the bottom of your cookies. You can then reuse the fallen sugar on the next tray of cookies. (This is extra express 😂)
- Bake at 375F for 6-8 minutes
- Hot Baking Tip: Bake the cookies for 4 minutes, then turn the tray in the oven and bake for another 2-3 minutes.
The cookies will look very soft when they come out of the oven. They will firm up when as they cool. Don’t overbake them.
- Leave them to cool slightly on the cookie sheet before transferring them to the cooling racks to cool fully.
- This recipe makes about four dozen cookies, depending on the size.
Voila, you are done! Three cheers for quick and easy Valentine’s cookies!
If your kids are super picky and won’t tolerate the jello flavour in their cookies, use this Sugar Cookie Recipe and add the sanding sugar. Two out of three of my kids love the jello cookie recipe. You can’t please everyone. 🤷♀️
About the Author
Christine lives on the West Coast of Canada with her husband, their three kids and approximately one million plant babies.
She is in the exploratory “In-Between” phase of rediscovering herself after being a stay-at-home mom for the last decade. She loves all adventures on the water or in the forest and connecting with other open-hearted, lifelong learners.