This Key Lime Pie recipe is quick easy, and everyone will freak out when they find out you made it. Seriously, it makes my husband look at me with heart eyes every time I make it.
𝐈𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐞𝐥𝐬𝐞 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐩𝐨𝐬𝐭, 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐡𝐚𝐦 𝐜𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐩𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐠𝐨-𝐭𝐨. 𝐓𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤 𝐦𝐞 𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫.
I call it a “double-deep graham cracker crust,” and my friends, I believe it is the only way a graham cracker crust should ever be made. Please don’t come at me with skimpy graham cracker crusts, ever.
Key Lime Pie Ingredients
Double-Deep Graham Cracker Crust
2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
8-9 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
Key Lime Pie Filling
2 large egg whites, at room temperature.
4 large egg yolks
1 (300 ml) can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lime juice. 3 to 4 regular limes or 20-ish key limes.
1 cup of heavy cream
1 Tbsp icing sugar
- 9-inch pie plate, or a 10″ fluted tart pan. I prefer the tart pan because it’s fancier.
- Stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or a hand blender.
- Lime zester, lime juicer, two mixing bowls, cooling rack, measuring spoons, measuring cups.
Key Lime Pie Method
Let’s get down to business.
Double Deep Graham Cracker Crust
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
- Add the melted butter and blend well.
- Use a flat bottomed glass to press the mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of your tart pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes on the lowest oven rack.
Key Lime Pie Filling
- In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites until they hold stiff peaks. (Pictured below).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, condensed milk and lime juice. Mix well.
- Gently fold in 1/3 of your egg whites.
- Once incorporated, fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Pour mixture into pre-baked crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- The filling should be just set. It will be puffed up (souffled) when it first comes out of the oven.
- Gently place it on a baking rack, it will deflate as it cools.
Whip your cream to soft peaks and add icing sugar to sweeten.
Serve each piece of pie with a large dollop of cream.
Tag me if you use this recipe. I’d love to see your masterpieces!