The perfect big fluffy cream tea scone recipe for the next time the queen comes to tea. If you want maximum lift-off when baking your scones, you’ll love this easy and tasty scone recipe.
Scones are best served fresh; this recipe takes about 30 minutes to make. If you want your pre-party hours to be as streamlined as possible check out the hot baking tips below. You’re welcome 😘
If you need some high tea garden party inspiration check out this post. Whimsical High Tea Baby Shower Ideas
Big Fluffy Cream Tea Scone Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups flour (315grams)
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter (60 grams)
- 2 large eggs-cold
- 2/3 cup of cold heavy cream (160 ml)
- 1 -2 tbsp of sanding sugar
Big Fluffy Cream Tea Scone Recipe Method
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large bowl. Combine.
- Cut cold butter into tiny squares and add to the dry ingredients. Use a pastry blender to further cut and combine the flour and butter mixture. You are done once the butter resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together. Add all but two tbsp of the egg/cream to the flour mixture. Stir until a “messy” dough foams. Don’t over-mix. It will not hold together perfectly.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured counter and knead gently until all of the flour is absorbed—only about seven times. Don’t over-knead. You want to keep those butter chunks intact, so you get lots of lift in your scones.
- Divide the dough in half and then shape each into a circle 1″ high and about 6″ in diameter.
- Cut each round into four triangles. Cut off the back part of the circle to “release the edges” of the scone and create a perfect triangle. This will give you full lift-off when the scones are baked.
Hot Baking Tip- You can also roll the entire amount of dough to 1″ thick and then use a round cookie cutter to create small round scones. (As shown below)
- Place the scones 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the top of each scone with the egg/cream mixture, be careful to not brush the sides.
- Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and serve warm with Devonshire cream, jam and great company.
Hot Baking Tip- Scones are best served fresh. You can prepare the dough completely and then store them in the fridge until you are ready to bake them.
When you make these big fluffy cream tea scones, tag me on instagram @IamChristineCoughlin so I can re-share.
About the Author
Christine lives on the West Coast of Canada with her husband, their three kids and approximately one million plant babies.
She is in the exploratory “In-Between” phase of rediscovering herself after being a stay-at-home mom for the last decade. She loves all adventures on the water or in the forest and connecting with other open-hearted, lifelong learners.
Hi there, I have a question re. the amount of flour in your recipe. One cup of flour is equivalent to 120 grams, so two cups would be 240 grams. You have two cups (315 grams)…Not sure what to do here. Thank you.
1 Comment on Big Fluffy Cream Tea Scone Recipe